Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Why I stay...

So, we all have issues with our jobs/life/bosses at times. Today is one of those for me. WHY does everyone act like he's the king? I mean... I get it, he's brilliant, he's been doing this forever, he has a black american express card.. I Get It! But, what I don't get is this : the people I work with live in constant fear and they stress themselves out so much it's absurd. It's unhealthy, people! He's not as insanely peculiar as you've convinced yourself he is. He's a man, a business man and you just have to ride with it.

So, today he tells me he wants the second Phoenix single to go to radio asap, as in...do it now. OK well... although sales have declined (after 125,000 records since May, you'd assume they'd drop) band is coming to tour all of Sept... ok, we wanted to send this single towards the end of September and kinda see what happens. A lot of stations are ready for #2, but even more are not. They've just really kicked in their spins, they've yet to get research.. we can't push #2 if they aren't ready. It will be a green light to just drop the band to make room for .. oh let's see.. Death Cab For Cutie, AFI, Muse etc etc etc.. credible and staple bands. Well, he tells me "A good promo person would look at all the facts and send #2 out now" then, he told me "I don't know.. maybe with 5 more years under your belt, you could have pushed the button on '1901' and hit it at radio."  I'm sorry but... this is the band's 4th album - first on Glassnote and, this is the FIRST time they've been on Alternative radio, let alone we went to #27 on the chart. Um. Top 30 for a band that never got airplay before is pretty fucking good! And, we've sold more then the first 3 records combined... plus some! I feel inferior and ask myself on days like this "why don't I just quit?!"

2 comments:

  1. God I hear you..... I am so sorry babe...I swear, I know our "elders" have been doing this a long time, but they DO NOT understand this day and age....they do not see ALL the facts that are included....you should have then retailiated and asked, how high their ITunes sales went, higher on the charts, people buy, then they spread the music to their friends....Remember this...WE are the future of the music business not them....He will not be around in ten years, while we will be in our PRIME.....I plan on us being Billboard Mag's Most Powerful Women in the Music Industry....

    You kick ass....and everyone else in the music industry sees your hard work.....you are definitely building a solid reputation for yourself...


    xoxoxox

    E

    ReplyDelete
  2. first off you have done a phenomenal job with phoenix. thats looking at the facts.
    and yes, we all get it. hes's irreplaceable and has been around forever and its genius.
    he also has a very sneaky way of throwing in jabs at you and your job performance , and eventually it gets to a point where its difficult to balance how worth it it is to say with this label.
    yes, its very hot right now and these bands are amazing, we love their music, but is it worth getting so disrespected, and not just personally, but professionally? this is probably something we have all come to terms with throughout our careers. i know i have definitely stuck it out at prior job a bit longer than i should of, but i was literally miserable, crying often on my drive to work. my 2 cents is when it gets to something to that degree, maybe its time to evaluate where you want to be. otherwise we're riding the label success wave (bullshit and all) until we come across something better that could be the next step in our careers.

    ReplyDelete